In the life of a Painter

Welcome to my New Blog

12/11/2013 2:22:22 PM | By Penny Otwell | 7 Comments

As we turn towards the snow and the cold winter I delight in remembering the day I painted this piece in Yosemite Valley.  It was quite cool but the sun was on my back (and unfortunately on my painting) and I was engulfed in yellow everywhere.  These are the beautiful stand of California Cottonwoods along the Merced River in Yosemite Valley.  There were a few people walking about in this rarified air, but mostly it was quiet and calm.  It's a real challenge these days to paint in Yosemite Valley at popular areas with so many people.  In the summer, I search out more private spots, but up to 10,000 people mid-summer a day in the Valley - all within seven square miles - you get the picture, right?

Challenging!  I've seen other artists in Yosemite with signs that say "Do Not Disturb," but I think this is too rude.  However, I don't like to be disturbed.

I always talk with children and teens, but when adults stop and talk, I explain I have to keep working.  I lose some kind of momentum when people ask about what I'm doing.  It's hard to explain, but my focus as a plein air painter is rather keen.  But I feel it is my "job" to encourage young people in the arts. LONG LIVE CREATIVITY !!!

I'm starting this new blog on my website's host - Fine Art Studio on Line -- and this is Volumne 1.  

Thank you -- Penny

Read More